Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Music in the Sopranos

I just finished watching season 5 of the Sopranos. It's a brilliant show. It features a group of pretty insane people who are absolutely facinating to watch. It occurred to me that one of the things I love about the Sopranos is the music. To my mind, the music is one of the things that really helps humanize the characters. So often, the music paints a picture of the characters' internal states. Sadness, joy, relief, all of these emotions are often carried in the music, and they give us a view of the characters that we can empathize with. Even though I've never killed someone or had the pressure of running an organized crime operation, I can connect with Tony Soprano through the emotional window of the music. Plus, the music stands on its own as good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home