Wednesday, October 26, 2005

VIS 2005: Professional Community Redux

I'm at another conference. This week finds me at the VIS conference (that's IEEE Visualization 2005 for those not "in the know"). Once again, I don't feel at home in the same way that I feel at home at the Game Developers Conference. Re-reading my earlier reflections on this thought, however, I have to say that I disagree with one point.

I have a greater sense of contribution. Although, as an artist, I feel like an outsider here, I feel like that is a strength rather than a liability. I bring a valuable perspective that is practically unrepresented at this gathering of engineers, though this conference is certainly more artist friendly than other engineering cons. This is a field in which an artistic eye can make an impact.

I still prefer GDC. Hm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home